Monday, January 11, 2010

Bonus Post!

I'm still in Kayes... been here for almost a week now! My friend Jeremy and I waited 7 hours at the bus station last Thursday for a bus back to Kenieba, and never left. Jeremy wrote about the not-fun experience on his blog.

We made the best of our extra days in Kayes. We went to a reggae concert on Saturday night and watched Mali play Angola in the opening match of the Africa Cup soccer tournament last night. Mali staged an incredible comeback, down 4-0 with less than 15 minutes left, to tie Angola 4-4 by the end of the game. When Mali scored the fourth goal in the last minute of the game, all of Kayes (and I'm sure all of Mali!) erupted in loud cheers. Everyone was shocked by the huge comeback, and Malians were celebrating in the streets for hours after the game ended. One guy was doing cartwheels and flips! There's a good article from BBC News about the atmosphere in Angola on the night of the opening match.

Hopefully you won't be hearing from me again for a while, and I actually get back to Kenieba tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment