Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Amoebas

The Internet connection is not working too well today, so I'm going to make this a quick post.

My big story from homestay was that I came down with amoebas! Amoebic dysentery, to be specific. I had a bad case of diarrhea and nausea on Wednesday morning, and it got much worse on Wednesday afternoon, to the point where I couldn't sit in a chair without feeling like I was going to pass out. We called the Peace Corps medical officer, who sent a car to take me to the medical office in Bamako. I started taking Cipro and felt much better the next morning. When the test results came back positive for amoebas, I started taking Fasigyn. It is a powerful drug that kills the amoebas, but it also set me back a few days. My last dose was on Saturday night, and I am happy to say that I feel much better!

Amoebas caused me to miss two days of language classes, so I have been working on catching back up. In the long run, it'll be fine. As an optimist, I figure it's better I get amoebas early so hopefully it's out of my system for good! A lot of trainees have felt sick this week, so I hope I just got it and it's done.

We are headed back to our homestay villages tomorrow morning and will be there until August 10th. I find out my site assignment, the village where I will be working for the next two years, that night!

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, those were the days. Have fun with the diarrhea. The good news is that by the time you COS (close of service) you'll have a gut made of titanium. You won't have diarrhea again for 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i'm glad you are feeling better. I went to a info session downtown (DC) and the recruiter Jason - who is a RPCV from Mali - said he got parasites several times and that was def a reality check (prob one of many) for me. I pray that you have gotten it all out ur system too and you wont have to deal w/ that again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better! That Cipro will kill anything icky.

    I was a PCV in Mali at the same time as Jason...actually, we helped out at Tubaniso trainings together a few times with the new volunteers. I'm enjoying reading all these blogs, brings back good memories. :)

    Enjoy your time in training and get well soon! Ala ka nogoya. I ni baara ji.

    koumba doumbia, rpcv mali 03-05

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy,
    These postings are awesome!!! Keep the info coming! Christian just showed me how to get onto this blog. You're probably proud it only took me about a month or so. I love it! Hope things are going well. Love you lots.
    xoxoxoxo Dad

    ReplyDelete