Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Some Background Information

Sometimes I still can't believe that I will be on a plane to Mali in three days. Sure, I've been to Africa before, but to serve in the Peace Corps and help make a positive difference in the lives of Malians for two years is like a dream come true.

Here is some background info on Mali (from a fellow trainee, Matt):

Mali is a landlocked country in West Africa. It’s about twice the size of Texas and is home to Timbuktu, a major center of civilization during the 15th and 16th centuries. It was colonized by the French in the late 1800’s, but became independent in 1960. However, because of colonial influence, the official language is still French, even though many native languages are still prevalent throughout most of the country.
Mali is home to roughly 12 million people and is considered to be one of the poorest countries in the world. About half the population is under the age of fifteen. Just over half the population has access to safe drinking water and less than half have adequate sanitation. AIDS is a concern, but not to the extent as in neighboring countries. The big health problems are respiratory infections, diarrhea, and malaria.
Geographically, Mali is spread across several climate regions. The northern part is in the Sahara Desert. The middle is in the Sahel, a semi-arid region. The southern part is a sub-tropical savanna, where most of the population lives. Temperatures in the capital, Bamako, average about 86º F, but can be as high as 110º F or as low as 65ºF. There are three main seasons: rainy (June-September), cool (October-February), and very hot (March-June).

...and what I'll be doing there:
I will be training near Bamako, the capital, for the first nine weeks. It is an intensive training session; I will be learning a new language and culture, living with a homestay family, and training to become a Peace Corps volunteer. At the end of training (September 10th), pending the results of a language exam, I will be sworn in as a Peace Corps volunteer and move to the village where I will be working for the next two years. I will be settling in to my new community during the first few weeks, meeting the people, and determining how to best serve this community.
Right now my job description is vague. I will most likely be living in a city, small town, or large village of at least 3,000 people. I will be assigned to work with a municipality, non-governmental organization (NGO), microfinance institution, or a village association in the community. The ultimate goal of a business volunteer in Mali is to reinforce the capacities of individuals and organizations to that they can better contribute to the economic needs of the community. I don't know much more than this right now; I will find out what my job will be and which counterpart agency I will be working with in August. Until then, I will be focused on learning a new language and adapting to Malian culture.
That's it for now; I'm looking forward to enjoying my last day at GLP tomorrow and boarding a plane to Philly on Wednesday morning. After a quick Peace Corps registration, orientation, vaccinations, and a cheesesteak for good measure, I will depart for Mali with 75 other Americans on Thursday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment