Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Training and Homestay Preview

It has been a busy few days here at Tubani So, the Peace Corps training center. We have been busy learning about Malian culture and customs, and how to keep ourselves healthy and safe. We move out to our homestay villages tomorrow morning! I just found out my homestay assignment, in a pretty big town of about 30,000 people. There are 11 of us in the village, all with different host families. My host father's name is Yaya! I will be learning Bambara, the lingua franca in Mali; the majority of the population speaks Bambara, so it will be easy for me to travel around Mali when the time comes.

The Peace Corps has a unique approach to language training, and based on the past experiences of volunteers here, it works. I will be taking language classes six days a week in the village with a Language and Culture Facilitator (LCF) and only a few other trainees. We will not be taking written notes at all during the lesson; it will strictly be learning by sight, context, and lots of conversation. Then we will return to our homestays at night, where we will practice interacting with our host familys in Bambara and completing small assignments by asking them questions. It will be a complete immersion, from the time we wake up, to walking around our village, to attending class, to eating meals with our family. This community-based training will be a great way to learn a new language, in my opinion. If all goes well, I will be a Bambara speaker in just a few weeks!

During one of our cross-cultural sessions late this morning, some big intimidating clouds appeared above the trees. The class continued as usual for a few minutes, but when it was apparent that it was going to pour, some of the trainees ran back to their huts to grab their laundry off the clothesline. I stayed in the hangar (a thatched hut with screens as walls, about 30 x 30 feet) and watched the storm blow through. It was a huge rain storm with some big winds... we got pretty wet, but it cooled everything off and the rest of the day was very comfortable. It was interesting to see how the weather dictates life here in Mali; a passing rain storm can change the course of a day.

Malian families eat their meals around a large metal bowl with the meal inside, scoop up a bite in their right hands, and with fingers out, bring it up to their mouths, and slide it into their mouths. To prepare for our homestays, we practiced eating with our hands at lunch yesterday and today. It is forbidden to use your left hand when eating, or doing just about anything. This is because Malians use their left hand to wipe themselves after using the "nyeggi", or pit latrine. So it makes sense not to put their left hands in the food bowl!! As many of you know, I am left handed, and was worried when I first arrived that it would be difficult for me to eat. But it worked out fine... I used my right hand to pick up the food without thinking about it. So I should eat well at my homestay! The food has been great at Tubani So: lots of potatoes, vegetables, meat and yummy sauces. It will be interesting to see what I will eat at the homestay... probably less meat and more grains.

The blog will be dormant for the next two weeks while I am at the homestay village. I can't wait to be immersed in Bambara and Malian culture! Thanks for all the comments by the way, it is great to know that you are reading my blog and enjoying it.

PS A new Peace Corps director was just nominated by Obama today, Aaron Williams, a RPCV from the Dominican Republic. He seems like a great choice to lead the Peace Corps. It will be interesting to see the direction he takes this great organization. More information about him: http://tiny.cc/n2lv0

PPS Unfortunately no photos with this blog post... I brought my camera to take photos of eating with our hands, but left the film in my computer! I will definitely have some from my homestay village to share.

8 comments:

  1. hey billy!
    i totally agree about the language. i feel like i dont learn anything when i sit in the classroom. i pick up much more interacting with folks outside.

    i must admit i still eat with my left hand and get a few looks from time to time!
    looking forward to the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at Tubaniso. The PC Mali staff are really great and they do know how to teach language. When I was a stagiare (2003), we spent most of our days at TSO and nights at a nearby homestay, but the system they have now is much better. You'll be rocking the Bambara way before we did. I ni baara!

    Koumba Doumbia RPCV, 03-05

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha okay that comment about eating with your right hand and remembering you're left handed cracked me up. don't mix it up!!

    glad you're having a good time!
    heather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Billy
    We finally learned how to Blog. The content is great. Sounds like you will be busy. Keep the info coming-it's better than a newspaper-we love you-grand ma & pa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy,
    Thanks for all the information. My daughter Holly is there in training with you. She has not giving many details of whats going on so I appreciate the details.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Billy. I am having fun at GLP. I won at Sequence (and beat your mom!) with Katy, Meg,and Colleen on South Beach. We thought of you while we purchased our Guster tickets for the Beacon NYC in November. We thought your ears would be ringing and we will think of you the whole time! Have fun in Mali and remember to use your right hand!
    Love and Kisses- Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi billy! just wanted to say hello and wish you well--stay healthy and have fun! these next two years should be amazing, rewarding to you and others who you are helping/visiting, and a great experience for you!
    we enjoy your blog--we learned about these from daniel prial, and were able to track yours somehow through his site--the left hand/right hand and communal eating pot we learned about from daniel and his parents--sounds odd to us westerners, but most societies have existed this way for centuries......
    stay well and keep the blogs coming!

    mr and mrs oneil :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun! I can't wait for some pics! Talk to them about getting some broadband down there :p

    ReplyDelete